Thursday, September 11, 2008

24 hours of honesty

As an assignment for my Converse 101 class, I was told to spend 24 hours being honest. This was not a big problem for me because I try to be completely honest anyway. Of course it was interesting to wonder, if other people were not doing the same assignment and they found out that I was to be completely honest, what questions would they have asked me? How inclined would I feel to answer those questions? And, would I have been completely honest? I don't know and I'm not sure I would want to find out, because I believe that complete integrity includes not deceiving anyone in any way. A person with true integrity wouldn't leave parts in a story out to avoid the messy details to make him or herself look better. A person with true integrity wouldn't purposely let anyone misunderstand what point they are trying to make. A person with true integrity would be wholly honest. Honesty and academic integrity is important to me because a person's actions and intentions reflect their true character and I wouldn't want to be around people who always take the easy way out by cheating. If everyone were to get away with this, then studying and learning would be pointless. No matter what, if somebody does cheat academically, they will reap the repurcussions. They may be caught on the spot and punished. They may be filled with incredible guilt that eats them from the inside. Or, if none of these is the case, what happens when someone does get a degree by cheating his or her way through? That person is only hurting himself, because when he gets into the workforce he's going to need those skills that come from learning and studying. If he's cheated, then he hasn't done these things and so will make poor decisions in the work force that may lead him to get fired. Honesty is always important, especially when it comes to being honest with oneself.

On another note, I'm sooooooo excited! I got a part in the play, The Annointing of Dracula!

1 comment:

Witney said...

Congratulations on Dracula! Your comments about integrity were thought provoking.