Monday, September 15, 2008
Library Study Place
For one hour, I found a study place and worked on an assignment. I went to the second floor of the library to an area with chairs surrounding a small table with shelves of books on some sides of the area. This study environment compares to other places on campus by being more quiet than most. Although more quiet than most, there were instances when I heard people come in, talk, and go back out. Some people were just naturally loud talkers and even though they only talked sometimes, when they did I lost focus on my assignment. My ideal study environment would be a place with complete quiet and no distractions whatsoever. If I have a lot of things on my mind, it is hard for me to concentrate. If I know I have a lot to do the next day or if I have a lot due on the next day, I tend to sometimes start thinking about these things and worry about how I will get everything done. This takes even more of my time and I realize this, but I am going to work on just getting something done instead of thinking about it and agonizing over it. I have noticed that when reading something that is not interesting to me, my mind may wonder, and I won't even realize it. I have actually watched the clock so to speak when this has happened before and realized that I have wasted even full half hours just thinking about other things that aren't necessarily related. Almost anything distracts me, a sudden sound, television (whether it is silent or not I still get distracted by the screen), or another person in the room all have the potential to distract me. I have found out, however, that depending on what the assignment is, I can complete it faster and not worry about thinking about it if I am more awake and alert. I think one of the reasons I became a procrastinator was that something always seemed to get in the way of me doing my homework on time, whether my mom was watching television or my brother was playing his video games in the next room so loud that I couldn't concentrate. I usually waited until everyone went to bed, and then I started my homework. But, now that I don't have time to procrastinate I hope I won't. That being said, I hope my college experience will be much less stressful than my time in high school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment